Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bodily fluids...

Okay, before I get too far into this post, fair warning, this is about poop and breast milk...

We were told at Grace's 18 month well child check that is is time to begin to potty train. What?! I am a mother of an 18month old AND a brand new baby... I am supposed to start something new? But... if it is what we are supposed to do, I trust my pediatrician, so potty training it is. We have started VERY slowly. Every night, before Grace's bath, she is stripped naked, sat on the potty (a small seat on top of the toilet) and told that we "Pee in the potty and not in the tub." and we wait. To date, nothing... We have pulled a urinating girl from the tub and placed her on the potty on a few occasions, reiterating "Pee in the potty, not in the tub." But it is usually too late and if the lesson is absorbed, I do not know... Grace thinks the potty is funny and just a week ago told me..."Bathroom please." So I rushed her upstairs, stripped her down and sat her on the toilet and praised her. "Good girl! Go ahead, pee in the potty!" To which Grace responded... (With mouth covered, laughing) "No need potty mommy!" Yeah, my child is playing jokes on me already... Well, tonight, like every other night we sat on the potty before our bath, nothing. But post bath, and pre-pajamas, Grace ducked around a corner and started to fill a diaper. Uncle Rory catching her, swooped her up in his arms, and rushed her to the potty. A stunned Grace sat there wondering what just happened. Uncle Rory told her to poop in the potty, not her diaper and she did!!! She looked at him confused for a minute, he made a straining face, the light bulb went off in her head and my little girl used the potty!!!! Small victories.

So I said that this post was also about breast milk. Well, just before the whole potty thing, Grace was helping me feed Lily. She was sitting on the couch and holding Lily's bottle for me. This did not last long before Grace was distracted by a toy. She took the bottle, hopped off the couch and began to play on the floor. I asked Grace for the bottle back and she placed it on the coffee table and resumed her play. Lily seemed content, so I did not fuss about the bottle being out of reach and watched Grace play nicely with her toys. A few minutes later Grace stood up, and grabbed the bottle. I was sure that she was going to return to the couch and resume feeding Lily. What I was not prepared for was Grace putting the bottle of breast milk in her mouth and taking a big sip... My initial thought was "NO!" But then I thought, "What's the big deal? It's only breast milk, it's not poison." Curious as to what she would do, I was even less prepared for Grace's response than I was for her drinking from the bottle. She looked at me and said (I kid you not!!) she looked up and said... "Yuummm, Delicious." Too funny...

1 comment:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

Those are great stories to remind her of in the years to come. And thank God Uncle Rory is still visiting.

Blog Visitors