Monday, February 9, 2009

"Wheew that was close!"

I feel like I talk about my messy home and overwhelmingly large pile of laundry quite frequently. In thinking about that I realized it is to reassure myself when I look back one day that... yes, my home was not presentable and while I was admittedly embarrassed to answer my door, that someone might witness the mess... I did the right thing. I made the right choices. I have the greatest job in the world. I can honestly proclaim that I am no June Cleaver and for sometime that fact made me sad. But I realize now that June Cleaver missed out... that is the only way she could have possibly had the perfect home and the ability to cook, clean and entertain and have a hot meal ready when Ward came home... June Cleaver did not have what I have! June Cleaver missed out!

In a very rare moment both girls are asleep, so I can get this written down (or typed out if you will). I hope one day I look back and laugh as hard as I did when it happened. But first, I am fortunate not only to be able to stay home with my girls, but to have a husband who supports me financially, emotionally and with a cleaning lady! ;) So I don't have to miss a thing... Thanks honey!!! But sometimes, Grace comes up with something I have no clue where she came up with it! This was one of these moments, the ones I am sure June Cleaver missed out on, or if not I am sure that the humor was lost in her rush...

We are driving down Happy Valley and come to the 90 degree turn at 91st Avenue. A pickup truck comes barreling around the corner in the opposite direction. It is a diesel truck, so it is not quiet. After it passed I hear from the back seat... "Wheew! Thats close!" ... Did she just say that? Where did that come from? I am laughing out loud at this point. She is not even two, how does she know that phrase? And how is it possibly that she even understood the context in which to use it? I have said it time and time again... She is amazing!

So for now I am going to keep putting off the chores and continue to cover her baby dolls in band aids. Draw another million butterflies, flowers, frogs or whatever it is that she insist I keep drawing while we color. Keep doing somersaults in the living room (yes, at 32 I can still somersault) and having indoor picnics with imaginary food and all of the stuffed animals (that don't get cleaned up for a week or more!) and wait for the next random, hysterical utterance from Grace. My life is good, messy but good!!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Shhh...I don't clean my house either -- but don't tell anyone!!!! It'll be our dirty little secret :)

I do, however, practice "clutter control". That's why I have a room JUST for toys -- ALLLL the way in the back, where I can close the door and forget about it. For the most part, we don't store toys in the bedroom so they don't spin out of control. Once a week, I go in there with a trash bag to weed out broken stuff and clutter...at least I try to, anyway.

I also keep a bottle of glass cleaner and an old towel under each of my bathroom sinks. Toothpaste stuck to the counter? Water spots on the mirror? Dirty handprints all over the sink? Windex is right there to save the day in 30 seconds or less ;)

I don't let mail create a big pile -- instead it all goes into the office where I weed through it and create a smaller pile...that I get to...when I can...

I wash a load of laundry every evening. I try to fold it too...but that rarely works out ;) So it tends to pile up -- hidden in my closet -- and I get to it...when I can...

Oh and I take 5 minutes to make my bed every morning. The girls help :) My room gives the impression of being "clean" when the bed is made -- but don't open the closet.

I try to make dinner during naptime. Otherwise we pull out all the tupperware and wooden spoons so the girls can "help" me. They know how to pick it all up, so that's cool :)

As for my floors...well, I have Scooba for that. When we run errands, I'll run him once or twice a week so it's done when we get home. He doesn't always do the best job -- but it's more than I'm willing to do, so I don't complain.

As for all the deep cleaning stuff...you know dusting and bathtubs, and blah, blah, blah...well, let's just say that you'll be disappointed if you give me the "white glove test"...and, never -- I MEAN NEVER -- try the white sock test!

It's much more fun to play dress up and make cookies ;)

Grace said...

Grace cracks me up! She is a smarty pants for sure. And Lily will just soak up all of this stuff like a sponge from her big sis.

Blog Visitors