Saturday, February 20, 2010

Flying

Time is flying by!!

The girls and I hopped a plane very, very, very last minute on Thursday for a three week vacation in Florida! The girls, as usual, were excellent little travelers. I am always more anxious about flying alone with then than I should be. I've done it so many times I know what and how to pack, both for the plane and ability to trek through airports dragging kids along alone. That coupled with their love for flying makes for great cross country travel. In fact, I might prefer traveling with them sans hubby {sorry baby!}

So in to Jacksonville on Thursday and a three hour drive with my girls to Tallahassee. Again perfect little angels. I quick hello with Uncle Rory and dinner with Sean, Kensley and my grandparents rounded out a full but good day of travel.

Friday was spent making sure that we had everything we might possibly need for 18 days away from home and another visit with my Grandparents. I must admit, this part of my trip has been giving me the most stress. Grace was such a shy baby, she would cry when her father returned from a week on the road, terrified of this "stranger". She has never warmed up to my Grandparents. In all the trips back here she has been only okay from afar, but heaven forbid anyone want to speak to her let along try for a hug or a kiss. She has even told me that she is afraid of my Grandparents. For the life of me I could never understand why...

My grandfather has never done anything but quietly try to win her over. My Grandmother who is head over heels in love with "The babies" every time she sees the girls has Alzheimer’s and is possibly the sweetest lady I know also has never been able to win Grace over. It has broken my heart to see these past almost three years. Two Great-Grandparents want so much to know these little girls and Grace determined to keep a sizeable distance. NOT THIS VISIT!! Despite Grace's telling me she was "scared" of Grampa Bunny & Gramma Dottie she has been hugging, kissing, holding hands with telling and listening to storied with both of them! I could not be happier!!! Last night Lily sat on Grampa Bunny's lap and listened to him tell her the story of the Three Little Bears. Tonight she climbed up onto his lap while he sat on the computer just to visit. Grace walked both of her Great-Grandparents out to the car last night while holding their hands. Terrified to break the spell I have not attempted to take a photo or catch some video but I feel I must. I don't know how much longer I'll have my grandparents (Sorry Bun!) and I want to be sure that the girls can see them together someday!

Today was an outdoor day! Grace & Lily went for a long walk with Memaw to the green space behind my parent’s house. The saw dogs, horses, deer tracks and Lily decided to see what would happen if she tripped and fell into a fire ant hill. I must say she is the bravest, toughest kid I have ever met in my life! She, I am told, did not fuss or cry at all. She was covered in fire ants and sustained about 8 or 9 bites on her hands and arms. For those of you who have ever been bitten by a fire ant you know how horribly painful it can be - For those of you who have never had the pleasure... It is not fun! It stings and itches and becomes a pussy blister of a bite. They take days to heal and are just miserable. Lily has paid them no mind at all!

After nap time we joined Sean, Kensley and Penny's sister Gaye and her kids at a local park and playground and ran those kids ragged - or was it vice versa?? Another great family supper and I am beat. I've wanted to blog and call friends and stay in contact with the world outside of Florida, but It's been so nice to be surrounded by family and visit and catch up and just be with them all in the moment that I have not made time. Hopefully there will be photos soon; the girls are simply in hog heaven!

2 comments:

Grace said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with your family. You sound so happy, you needed a break! I can tell how much it means to you that the girls are getting to know their great-grandparents!

monica said...

Glad you guys are having a good time. We sure do miss you!

Blog Visitors