IT IS entirely possible to throw in the towel, cut corners and in general slack off when someone is watching but it sure isn't as easy! With regard to working out, I find that I do better when there is someone keeping me honest. A group class ensures that I workout for more than 30 minutes and find an excuse to hit the showers. A workout partner helps motivate me to get up and out the door, since I know they are waiting on me and expect me to be there for them as well. Having someone know your name and cheer you on or… call you out is, well… A big help for me!
This first week of Stroller Strides was an adjustment, a bit exhausting and mildly painful. But I felt embraced, supported and motivated to make this lifestyle change. But even the motivating ego boost of having strangers cheer my name and root me on while sprinting or rather panting up a hill, grunting through a final set of reverse crunches or breathing through the burn of the last few lunges was nothing compared to “Good Job Mommy!”
I have completed my first full week of Stroller Strides and am happy to report that I am not in agony. I am feeling muscles that I forgot existed, but have had full mobility all week. I might not have pushed as hard this week as I did were it not for Grace Elizabeth. Every “Good Job Mommy!”; and “ I’m so proud of you”; and “Go Mommy Go!” kept me honest. If I thought I needed to take it down a notch or if I wasn’t working at my full capacity; Grace was the little voice outside my head motivating me to hold on a work just a little longer.
The positive reinforcement from Grace has been such a treat; Not only for its motivating factor, but for its entertainment value as well. We all get a kick out of hearing Grace’s little voice cheering. Today however she took keeping me honest to a whole other level! I had a rough night with not much sleep last night. I have been functioning on broken or little sleep for almost three years now. I am not stranger to it; I’ve gotten used to it and feel like I can manage once I get a cup of coffee in me. Not when it comes to working out however! I was dragging butt and sucking wind with just our warm up! Four hours of sleep and cardio simply do not mix! I was the back of the pack the entire workout today. I hate that feeling. I can be last if I am right there with everyone, but they were leaving me in the dust. I’d get up the gumption to give it a burst and then I’d fizzle like a wet match.
The last thing we did before abs and cool-down today were suicides. Commence me throwing me head back, jamming shoulders to my ears and groaning like a sullen teenager “Awww! C’mon!” So I trudge to the end of the basketball court, lock the wheels on the stroller and with a deep breath begin.
(To the Foul Line)
GRACE: Run Mommy!
(in my head), I am running Grace, I’m just not sprinting.
Back to the stroller and down on all fours (mountain climbers)
GRACE: (With instructor) 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
(To mid court)
GRACE: Faster Mommy Faster!
(Again in my head) Mommy can’t go faster, Mommy’s gonna’ keel over and die!
Back to the stroller, and can’t do it… (Standing –High knees)
GRACE: Get on the ground Mommy!
ME: Next time baby, Mommy needs a minute…
(To the far Foul Line)
GRACE: Mommy you need to run faster!
(Not enough oxygen getting to my brain to even think let alone think about a retort)
Back to the stroller – Okay Shelbi, you said to Grace “next time” get down on the ground! Suck it up!
(On the ground barely about to get legs to move doing half assed mountain climbers)
GRACE: That’s better! Good job!
(To the far end of the court – pushing with all I’ve got!)
GRACE: You have to run Mommy! Run!
(In my head - Just make it to the stroller, do high knee bends again and alternate – Finish Strong Shelb, you can do it!)
That was the last time I tried to get away with standing high knee bends. Grace yelled “Get on the ground like the other lady” (Cindy who was next to us) and I didn’t have heart to disappoint her – She was so sure I could do it! That and it just seemed easier to do what she said and go full out until I dropped dead. But I didn’t drop dead... I finished the drill, I did it with every ounce of energy I had and it felt good! I usually cringe at her bossy behavior, today I was grateful. She saw potential in me I didn’t see in myself!
Who needs a personal trainer when you have a Gunnery Sergeant Hartman for a three year old daughter?!
クレンズスプラッシュの効果は嘘?衝撃の真相はこちら!
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment