{Fried Beans}
I do not want to say that the girls’ and my summer science project was a complete failure because it was not. We managed to plant and sprout bean plants. We were able to watch the bean stalks grow for three plus weeks. We had fun and in the end I think that was really the point. I am however truly sad that we were not able to get the plants to flower and grow actual beans. I cannot fault our care of the plants save the fact that I was aware the 116 degree heat could not be good for them; yet failed to move the planter to the shade. Since every other aspect of our little experiment was a smashing and relatively simple success was inspired to search the internet for a different method or seed or idea on how to grow green bean with my girls. A broad and basic search for "home and garden products" yielded a surprising little treasure. I will admit that at first glance I almost dismissed this site for seeming user unfriendly; however I am so happy that I typed “Seeds” into the search box at the top of the page before moving on.
If I were growing our little bean experiment in a classroom setting rather than at home with my 1 and 3 year old daughters, I found an amazing planter that I remember seeing a few years back and completely forgot about. Do you all remember seeing the commercials for the AeroGarden? I remember thinking back then “How cool is that?” and I started to think… "Maybe?" I suppose if I were growing vegetables in a sizeable quantity for consumption like we did in our backyard when I was a child the AeroGarden would be the way to go. Living in the desert is clearly not conducive to growing a small vegetable garden - My 'fried green beans' are proof of that- In the end the scale of both the girls and my interest in this ‘bean project’ and the amount of time and money I am willing and able to invest in it, did not warrant purchasing an AeroGarden. But checking out all of the options for seeds and reading the reviews got me excited that “Maybe? Someday…” There were several great reviews from teachers growing beans in their classrooms with the AeroGraden systems.
Further search of the site brought me to an adorable option for something a “little” more to the girls’ scale. This time I am think we should try something a bit different. This time, perhaps Instead of beans, although they are so easy to sprout – perhaps we will try some herbs or small flowers? These biodegradeable pots are the right scale and price for what I should be doing with a 1 and 3 year old. Plus, I thought the planters they decorated for the ad we just adorable. The best part of this find; they will make for a great “science project” and a fun arts-and-crafts project. I am not sure what I am more excited about… Watching the girls watch something grow or seeing what G and I can create while decorating these little pots. It just goes to show – You never know where you will find inspiration and how a broad search can unearth the most surprising treasures. One website, endless possibilities!
Keep your eye out for Summer Science Project – Take 2.
クレンズスプラッシュの効果は嘘?衝撃の真相はこちら!
10 years ago

1 comment:
Well, at least the three of you had fun and have created a memory!
Post a Comment