Thursday, September 10, 2009

Something's fishy

Yesterday in a moment of what I though "Brilliance''...I decided that if Grace had fish she might not need a cat. I really do not want another cat and I don't have time for a dog just yet... So off the PetSmart we went....

I've had fish most of my life. My parents got the boys and I a tropical fish tank when we were kids and before that, thanks to Woolworth's, we'd had goldfish on numerous occasions. In all of my apartments I always had a small tank with either Goldfish or Betas; And more often than not my desk at work had a bowl with a Beta in it. Fish are reasonably low maintenance, don't cost a lot and well... They don't bite, or pee on the floor, or require walks and vets and blah- blah- blah. Like I said "a moment of brilliance" (Maybe not...)

On previous occasions I have done both, get the tank ahead of time, set it up, condition the water for a day or two, then get the fish. Other times I've set the tank up and added the fish the same day... Never had a problem before... Of course since I am getting the fish for my 2 year old. The little one that has never experienced death before and could not grasp the concept if I tried for days to explain it... So what happens? -- Within 12 hours of getting her her very first pets, we wake up to floating fish! Oy Vey! Grace handled it very well! She sort of pleaded for them to "Wake Up!" this morning and asked Tinkerbell (Oh, she named her goldfish Nemo & Tinkerbell) "What's wrong Tinkerbell? You Sleepy?" and she told me to "Shh, the fishies sleeping." It was a little heart wrenching.

After breakfast I quietly flushed Tinkerbell and Nemo. "In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sanct" (sign of the cross) Should I say an Our Father? It was awkward, I don't know why, maybe guilt over bringing death to my child so young? Maybe because I was doing this behind her back and she should be part of this? I've never given flushing a fish so much thought. Anyway, my great grandmother was a big fan of kids having pets and learning about death early. Trying to take a page from her book, I told Grace that Nemo and Tinkerbell died and that we would go get a new fish. No further explanation other than they were gone. So here is our new buddy (A beta) Caterpillar or Kai-Lan, Grace cannot seem to decide... Either way, here he is!



Caterpillar or Kai-Lan


This was Nemo


This was Tinkerbell

R.I.P. Tink & Nemo

4 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

So sad yet cute at the same time. Here's to a long and prosperous life for Caterpillar or Kai-Lan!

Anonymous said...

I love the names you guys picked out... Adorable.

monica said...

I love it. Only you Shelbs-sorry. Love ya!

Grace said...

Vincent is looking forward good times pet sitting for Caterpillar/Kai-lan (or should Caterpillar not make it to Oct., then whoever has taken his place)! Hope he'll be willing to give him back!

Blog Visitors