Now that we all have small, active children the options were to pack a picnic and go to one of the handful of playgrounds in the neighborhood (the weather today would have been perfect for it) or to go to McDonald's playland so that the kids could run around like crazy people in a safe, fun, environment. The general consensus was McDonald's; And since I have an insatiable addiction to McDonald's fries, you would never hear a word of protest from me about going to McDonald's.
I wish I had remembered my camera or better still the video camera; but my madness and disorganization around trying to pack for 2 trips spanning close to 3 weeks and only a day between the 2 had bested me. Even with the aid of Concerta I am still a disorganized mess. But the need for either a stronger dose or a different medication is a story for another time... Anyhow - the video camera would have been best since Lily decided that Katie, Grace and a number of other strangers were the perfect sleigh horses. She'd waddle up behind them and grab onto any loose article of clothing and laugh HYSTERICALLY as the pulled her around the playland. She climbed after them up slides and down stairs and for her part played the longest most fun game of tag I have ever witnessed. She did tackle poor Abby a few times and even though Abby has about 3 weeks on Lily in age Lily has the heft and height on her side. Abby's older sister Katie, a year older than Grace, turned out the be the perfect playmate for Lily. Perfect video moment number 1 missed...
Charlotte at the ripe old age now of 5 months is not old enough to be down on the dirty ground with the kids, let alone climbing all over the dirty, germy, play structures, but Lily did manage to steal her stuffed animal blanket a few times. In Lily's defense she did offer to share her fries and chicken nuggets in exchange! Charlotte would have gladly accepted, but "Mommy Kelli" and I were quick to intervene! Only after showering Lily with immense praise for "Good Sharing!!"
Vincent was with us for a while but was not too sure about the chaos and strange kids running about. That coupled with the fact that 'Big Grace' had to wake him from his nap to bring him to my little birthday celebration, meant he was not with us much past lunch. When Grace finally noticed that her boyfriend was gone she was really sad... Thankfully her old pal Katie was there to get her mind off it with a rousing game of hide 'n go seek! This is not something we've ever played with Grace before so she did not quite grasp the concept. First Katie closed her eyes and counted to 16 while Grace stood right behind her (Lily was off in a cubby with a little boy who was also playing hide 'n go seek - Yeah, Brian and I are going to have to sit down with Lily and explain that we don't go off into cubbys with boys...) Katie tagged Grace, said "I found you!" and told Grace it was her turn to count. So Grace proceeded to follow Katie around the playland counting "1-2-3-4...........14-15-16!" Katie tried to explain what Grace was doing wrong but she just stared blankly at Katie! I tried to then explain that she has to stand still - close her eyes - count to 16 - then go find Katie... Further blank stares -Another priceless moment that would have been awesome on video...
It was a really nice little birthday celebration. I know a few of my oldest and dearest friends are saying... "Seriously?? You had your 33rd birthday at McDonald's??" But it was just exactly how I wanted to celebrate!
Thanks Girls! You really are the best!!
Have a good few weeks and I'll see you all just before Halloween!

1 comment:
Wish we could have stayed longer, but the little dictator calls the shots. Sounds like we missed a really good game of hide 'n seek! Grace can teach Vincent sometime.
Post a Comment