Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Lily Kathryn Hurley

Well, Lily is two weeks old and this is the first opportunity I have had to update my blog...

I was going to write down Lily's birth story for posterity. Well as I thought about putting it out there in writing, I thought... "I can be one of those mother's who guilt's her children by saying "Do you know what you put me through delivering you?" " Then it hit me... Neither Grace or Lily actually did anything wrong. Lily did exactly what was expected of her. She grew and kicked and hiccuped for 9 months. Her part was over. She was to be delivered from day one via planned c-section. On November 11th her job was over and it was the doctors turn. So really Lily was a perfect angel, she played her roll perfectly and the failure was, if anyone is to blame on either the surgeon who performed the c-section or the doctors and nurses post-pardum who failed to catch or diagnose an internal bleed. So I have no leg to stand on with the whole "Do you know what you put me through?" argument. As for Grace, well poor Grace also did her part and come her time to be born, she tried and tried and tried for three days. In the end it was my body that failed her and not she who failed me. So my children though I can tell you tales about long hospital stays did what they should have. And that is all I have to say about that.

Lily Kathryn was born at 8:13am on November 11th. To the day, 18months after her sister. She weighed 6lbs 13oz (1oz lighter than her sister) and was 19 3/4 inches long (1/2 inch longer than her sister) She had a full head of dark hair. Much to our surprise, since Grace has been essentially bald from birth to about 12 months.

Lily does have features that resemble Grace, and I suppose you could say she is a Hurley. I am can report that unlike Grace she has a bit of me in there too. I was not sure until I looked at the pictures of Grace at a day or two old, but there are only similarities, they are by no means identical. Time will tell...

As for the Hurley's we are home recovering and trying to figure it all out. I do not know when I will have time to update my blog again, but will at least try to post pictures and blurbs from time to time. I would like to say for my own sake that I could journal everyday, so that when my kids are grown I can look back and remember... we shall see...

2 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

So cute. That video clip is precious. Hope you are feeling better and stronger. See you on Sunday when I deliver your dinner. And Happy Thanksgiving!

Wendy said...

They are so cute! Grace will be an awesome big sister and the two of them will melt your heart over and over :) Congrats on a beautiful family!

Blog Visitors