Wednesday, March 11, 2009

4 and 22

My girls are 4 and 22 months old today. I am having a bit of trouble with this. It has been an emotional roller coaster of a day for me. On the one hand Lily is rolling over, picking up toys, babbling away, laughing at ans with her sister. She clearly recognizes me and smiles so brightly. All things that little babies don't do. Grace is growing like a weed, smarter by the day and starting to really enjoy her baby sister, but it is all happening to fast, they are changing too quickly. Lily is the last baby we will have. Once the baby stuff is over, it's over for us. No more first roll, or first smile. No more first time discovering hands, or toes, or voice. How do mothers who work and miss this stuff do it when it's the last? So while I am so proud, I am very melancholy about this whole growing up deal!

Dr. Magalnick FINALLY met Lily Kat today. She is 4 months old and this was the first time we were able to get to see our beloved doc. He was laughingly surprised to meet the polar opposite of Grace. Lily showed not once ounce of fear or hesitation when this strange man poked and prodded her. In fact I think she laughed the entire exam. Grace on the other hand tried to blend into the wall and or melt into my legs so as not to been seen by anyone who might be wielding a needle. We got the go ahead to start feeding Lily baby foods and a rigorous schedule to stick to so as to avoid any possibility of a repeat of Grace's eating issues. Though Dr. Magalnick strongly believes that my cherubic little one will have no issues and might even teach her Big Sis a thing or two about eating.

After Dr. Magalnick left, the nurse returned and prompted a chorus of "NO! NO! NO!" from Grace who was still not convinced that no one was going to stick her with a needle this time. I tried to calm her down but she insisted on "Up we go! Up we go!!" So, against my better judgement I lifted her up onto the exam table with Lily. Now the nurse is laying the 6, yup count 'em 6 needles out on the table for Lily; to which Grace again begins with "NO! NO! NO!" ... "Grace, it's okay, they are not for you, the nurse is going to give Lily her shots. Just sit here and tell Lily 'it's okay'." And with that the nurse proceeds to quickly jam needles into Lily's thighs. Which now has Grace screaming, terror stricken, "Stop it! Stop it!" This breaks my heart, because I can hear the trauma in Grace's voice. I knew picking her up was a mistake, but what was I to do? Now Lily starts crying. And Grace has zero tolerance for Lily's crying. For all my asking Grace to "Comfort Lily."... "Tell Lily it's okay."... "Talk to Lily." All I ever get is an annoyed "Stop Crying Lily!!!" But today Grace was Big Sis. While fighting back her own tears Grace said "It's okay Lily, It's okay...Shh Shh Shh" (slapping Lily's face in an attempt to pat her little head) Yeah, I got a lump in my throat. It was darling!

No comments:

Blog Visitors