My neighbors are crafty ladies. Across the street, Morningstar can sew. Like sew clothes!! Down the hill Kristin can make anything and does! From personalized wine goblets to ceramic tile coasters, ghost lollypops and just about any and everything in between. If Kristin can dream it, she and or her kids can make it. Around the corner Rachael is the Scrapbooking Queen and I actually stole this craft idea from her. Keeping up with the Jones' has new meaning here. I will never be as talented as any of the three aforementioned ladies, but I like trying new things and Grace and I have been having a lot of fun this year with arts and crafts.
I did a lot of baking for the neighbors after Thanksgiving and had quite a holiday treat stockpile in the freezer, but Fed Ex, UPS and Vikki, family, friends and a myriad of other people needed or deserved a holiday treat or a thank you - So my freezer now stands empty. Money is tight and baking the quantity I had before all over again was not going to happen. But I wanted to give something and figured a small something was better than nothing at all. At least a little something would let my friends know I was thinking of them. Then there was the need to find something to deliver the treats in... Here's where Rachael's genius comes in..
I scavenged the recycle bin for our tin cans. Thank God my girls love their mandarin oranges and green beans - And thanks to a stocked craft closet and a few beautifully wrapped gifts for the girls from Massachusetts I had ribbon and bells and a glue gun to create these little containers.
Here's where Grace hijacks my story. Despite the fact that I scorched all of MY fingers while the girls napped this afternoon putting these together - The moment Grace came down from her nap and saw the tins she exclaimed.....
"Oh! What did I make?!"
You make? Grace Elizabeth, I made containers for our neighbors. We're going to put treats in them and bring them to our friends.
"OH-MY-GOODNESS, My friends will be so happy I made these for them!"
No, Grace, Mommy made these. But you can help me bake some treats if you would like.
"No, let's just give my friends these things I made. They're beautiful!! My friends will be so happy I made these"
This is about when I realize that I am arguing with a two year old. This oddly enough seems like the story of my life these days and I’m not just talking about Grace. So since I have all this experience with arguing with two years olds, I give up, give in and say...
Yes Grace Elizabeth, you did a beautiful job and your friends will be very happy!
So here are just a few of the tins that Grace is sure she made...

4 comments:
You are a crafty Bitch! WOW, how do you find a time with Grace and Lily to do this stuff?
OK Martha, you outdid yourself! I hope you had fun with it to...the tins are beautiful!
How adorable. I may have to steal that idea too. See how much fun it is to craft? So glad we are converting you. WE must do a craft day together sometime. Merry Christmas.
I knew about the bitch part ;) That you are crafty is also now evident. And to think you pretended to be craft-challenged like me, please...my fingers would be glued together attempting this craft (and then how would I type?).
Post a Comment