Friday, December 11, 2009

Missing the Millers

It was a year ago October that Grace & I met Monica and Rylan. We spent less then five minutes in the Miller's driveway the evening they first moved in. Rylan and Grace drew chalk pictures while Monica and I made small talk about where she came from; How she got here; And how her husband and brother-in-law were on their way with the U-Haul. It took less than those five minutes for me to know that Monica and I were going to be friends. Sure enough, while waiting for Lily to be born Monica and I found ourselves chatting on the phone like Junior High School Girls. Only a few doors away yet on the phone for an hour or more talking like we'd known each other forever. It was easy... It was - The best! Then Lily was born, and so was an amazing friendship.

The last few months without the Millers have been difficult. The anniversary of the day we met was sad - Celebrating Lily's birthday without them seemed strange and now Christmas is coming and it feels wrong that The Miller family, part of the Hurley family, will not be here with us to celebrate. We've been preparing the guest room for our Holiday company and Grace insists every time we are in there, that a photo of me as a small girl is Rylan - Then she gets sad that her best friend is gone. Or we take a walk around the neighborhood in the evening and she insists that the new cars at the Miller's old house are Monica and Robbie and we need to go say hi to Rylan... It's not been easy, on any of us. The Miller's miss Arizona too and Monica and I have avoided frequent conversations as they are painful reminders that we are apart...


So today we decided to avoid anything that reminded us of Rylan and do something new and fun. We drive by the Alta Vista Park and playground a few times a week and it has always looked like a fun playground. It's not in our neighborhood - and “Yes” we have more than a few playground/parks here but we needed a new adventure. So off we went. What a great time we had. It was a crisp, sunny day. The sand had just been raked from the rain we’ve had and there were a few other kids there to play with. The slides were new and big and purple. It was one of the best days the girls and I have had alone in a while.
















2 comments:

Kelli said...

What size are Grace's Leggings? TOOO CUTE!

I miss the Miller's too!

monica said...

God, I miss you! Thanksgiving was really hard for me. Remember us talking about doing dinner together this year to have more "family" time? That would've been so fun. I miss you so much. Phone calls across the country aren't the same as being down the street-I miss those so much. I miss Robbie and Brian calling us "lesbian lovers!" I miss us all being together.

I miss you and the valley of the sun! Love ya!

Blog Visitors