Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Year Of The Cat Part 2: "THE CHRISTMAS CAT"



This is Hal - "Handsome Hal" as he's been dubbed by my Aunt Dottie. Hal is a Christmas gift for Grace and Lily from their Great Aunt and Uncle. A few months back Dottie and Chuck adopted Gabe - Sorry - "Gorgeous Gabe" ... Gabe is a love - big, fat, lazy, easy - we all were enamoured with him from the start. It was Gabe that prompted the adoption of Pablo. (ah, Pablo...) The girls are so smitten with Gabe that they have been trying to make Sami their pet. Well, if you know Sami - even a little bit, then you know that that is never-gonna'-happen! So Brian and I started looking for a cat for the girls to grow up with. We found Pablo and we all know how that ended. Dottie and Chuck are animal people. Currently with 3 dogs, 2 horses and 1 cat - they know animals. Brian and I asked Dottie to keep an eye out for a Gabe for us and...well... I got a call on Friday asking me to come to dinner this weekend. Dottie and Chuck had something to show me...
Ta-Da! We walk in the door this afternoon and there sleeping on the couch next to Gorgeous Gabe was Hal. To be honest the name throws me. I can't help but think of 2001: A Space Odyssey "Good Morning Dave." There are any number of names I would have given him, 'Big Mo' for Mo Vaughn. Or "Bo Sox' - 'Bo' for short. Or Oliver or.... Well I can't think of any other great ones at the moment, but Hal - not my first choice. Then again, he is not my cat and Grace likes the name Hal. She cannot quite say it yet. It sounds like she is saying "How" or "Owl" but she likes "Handsome Hal" and that is what he will be called.
It already appears that Hal is going to work out. He's been boldly exploring the house since we got home tonight. Sami is following him around with minimal growling and hissing. She even licked him right off the bat. He isn't cowering under a bed and he has been okay with the girls attention - even jumping up into Grace's bed tonight to tuck her in. He's big and sweet and young. A lot of his personality seems like 'Mac' and that is a huge plus in his favor! McGuire was one of a kind and the girls would be so lucky to have a cat like him for a pet.

1 comment:

Grace said...

I like Hal, he's cute! Hey, does your aunt want another dog???

Blog Visitors