Sunday, June 7, 2009

3 Day Potty Training (Introduction)

I have not been working on Potty training. I can at least be honest and admit that. Six months ago our Pediatrician said that it was time to introduce the potty to Grace. Yes, that would be the same six months ago when Lily was born. Ha Ha good joke right? New mom of two, and I am supposed to potty train one at the same time I am figuring out how to navigate the waters with two little ones... I say it again "Ha Ha!"

Being the good little doobie that I am I did introduce Grace to the potty. I purchased a seat for upstairs and downstairs, so Grace's little tushie would fit on our toilets. And we talked about it, sat on it and even got the Elmo Potty Time DVD. But Grace acted like sitting on the potty was punishment and that is the last thing that I wanted. She shows several signs of being ready to potty train and has for sometime, but it just has not come together for us. Mostly my fault. Fearful of pushing her and doing psychological damage I have let her lead me instead of the other way around.

Recently I have been hearing moms on TV, at Gymboree and at the grocery store talking about the 3 Day Potty Training method; so I decided to look into it. Turns out, it is exactly what Grace and I need. A mother of 5 boys and part of a large family herself developed this method and has helped parents and little ones succeed at potty training for several years now. Since Grace seems to learn thing very quickly I have no doubt that if I follow this process to the letter she can and will be potty trained in 3 days. But even if we only get 90% trained I will count that as a huge success!

Before I can begin the 3 day training session with Grace I have some preparation to do and I anticipate this taking a few weeks. When Lily came along I started Grace on a very bad habit of having water at bed time, actually having a bottle of water with her to quiet her down and this has become a crutch or security blanket... One that needs to stop. She wakes up with soaked to maximum capacity diapers every morning. Of course she does! What do I expect?? So I first have to break her of this "need" for a bottle then the "need" for a drink at all at bedtime. I am giving myself 2 weeks to complete this. I CAN DO IT!

In the meantime I will be stocking up on big girl underpants and rewards, like Match Box cars. I need to find a few new puzzles and coloring books and building toys to keep us busy over the 3 days. I also need to get one or two new sippy cups, something new and fun to drink from as I will be getting Grace to drink lots of extra fluids over our 3 day 'boot camp'. I am excited!! I actually think this could be a really fun weekend and I am looking forward to it. Brian and I already have the entire weekend planned. (oh, we're doing it on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday so we can both be there 100% of the time to cheer her on) Movies, coloring, painting, building with blocks or Lego's and doing puzzles... all her favorite things.

My goal: For Grace to be Potty Trained by July 1st.
The weekend: June 26, 27, 28

Stay tuned...

4 comments:

virgdan1 said...

Can't wait to hear how the weekend went. One trick that worked when Nicole was little was to have the portable potty in the family room or the room the child spends the most time in. This way when they're playing and they have to "go", the potty is right there. The child thinks it is a punishment when they have to stop playing and go to another room to go potty.

Wendy said...

Ooooo...I've never heard of this one :) I just always let the girls run bare bummed and they eventually figured it out -- I cleaned up a mess or two (or 100) along the way. Kaelyn was, by far, the easiest. With Maya it's hit and miss.

I'm always up for a new strategy!!! Maybe we'll take the potty challenge with you on the same weekend :)

Can you e-mail me the details?

Nicki said...

I am looking forward to hearing how this worked out. Keep me posted. I haven't pushed Brayden either.

Anonymous said...

You sound like a great mom and I know you're going to do a great job. 3 days!!! You can do it.

-Lora Jensen

Blog Visitors