Thursday, June 18, 2009

Musical beds

I still have not sat down to write my other post. I have it somewhat written in my head, but I have not had a free minute to sit down and attempt eloquence. Thank God for this blog where I can just sort of spew information out and feel like I've documented our lives for future reference.

I did have time however, thanks to Monica's and my new arrangement, to strip crib sheets and change mattresses on Tuesday. Lifting Grace's mattress is like lifting a lead weight. Its a top of the line spring mattress. Great for sleeping not so great to change the sheet on, especially when you are 5'2 (and a half!)! But Lily has not been half the sleeper that Grace was at this age, so I convinced myself it had to be the mattress. After lifting Grace's out of the crib; Resting it sideways across the crib and changing the sheet, I went to Lily's room to remove her mattress, change it's sheet and drag it in to Grace's room for the swap. After lugging Grace's out of the crib I needed a minute before moving it. Once in Lily's room, I was not prepared for the feather lightness of Lily's mattress. When I removed it from the crib, I used way more force than was required and ended up throwing the thing across the room. Still convinced that the plastic and foam mattress is Lily's issue, I further justified the switch in my head that Grace is about to start potty training a week from Friday and it would be better to have an accident on a plastic mattress than on her nice one - Even if the good one does have a mattress pad and waterproof pads on it.

Night one of the switch.
Lily goes down early, 8 o'clock, and stays sound asleep; I go to bed at 10 o'clock. - So far so good! - She continues to sleep soundly until 2 o'clock. Not bad. But I am struggling to keep my eyes open while feeding Lily so, instead of returning Lily to her crib, I lay Lily down on Brian's side of the bed, surround her with pillows and give in before we even have the chance to fight. I simply did not have it in me to put her down, pick her up, rock her again, and start all over. This "dance" has been our normal night time routine for too long. Lily then sleeps until 5 o'clock and now we're up for good. I tell myself I'll do better tomorrow night, baby steps right??? Side note, poor Grace woke a few times and cried out... I am thinking that she is not a fan of the new mattress, but she can sleep anywhere and always has been able to. - She'll be fine.

Night two.
Lily again goes to sleep early, 8:30pm. She sleeps until 12 o'clock, has a bottle and goes right back to sleep in her crib! - YES! ... Wait... What's this?? She's up at 3:45?? Why is she up again? Why won't she sleep?? Uugh... So up, bottle, rocking chair, fight to keep my eyes open, she's out! 4:10am...

-I just don't have it in me! Shelbi, be strong, you do not now, nor forever and ever down the
road want a child in your bed, DO NOT PUT LILY IN THE MASTER BED!
-But, I need sleep... Grace is going to be up soon...
- That's why there's a pack 'n play in the bedroom isn't it??
- Oh yeah...

I lay her down in the Pack 'n Play, the one I have piled high with blankets and a comforter and two fitted quilted sheets... Hold my breath.... don't move a muscle... slowly back away... please don't creak bed when I get in... She's out... Wheew...

"Mommy... - Mom-Meee! - I'm up - Good Morning! - Come get me! - Hey-yo? - Mommy? - Good Morning! - I said Good Morning!"

Look at the clock... 5:15! Good Morning Grace!

3 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

I thought the girls we sharing a room. Did you end up moving Lily out because Grace would wake when she heard Lily cry? I am having the boys share a room, and I'm a bit fearful that the first year will be rough if Landon or Ryland are light sleepers.

Shelbi said...

Lily is in the guest room until she starts sleeping a little better. I am not sure that she would wake Grace up, but if she did.... and it happened 3 times a night, I would go out of my mind, so once they are together, they will share a room until college if I have anything to say about it.

Grace said...

You have my sympathy...we gave in when Vincent was 8-1/2 mos., when it was worse than usual b/c he was teething like crazy. And then we all finally got some much needed sleep. Good luck...it wouldn't be fair if you had two great sleepers :)

Blog Visitors