I'm angry. I know that I am supposed to be supportive. I know that the correct response is sympathy and empathy - I have been in her shoes before. Okay, well not exactly her shoes, but in the last decade, Brian and I have lived in 4 states, 3 since leaving New England. We moved from apartments to houses and back again. We have been the ones to leave, always the ones to leave and that's hard enough. But this whole being left thing... It's not for me.
After moving to Arizona I almost immediately regretted it. Whitney decided it was time for a change and moved to Colorado a month after her God Daughter was born. We then moved out to the 'burbs and I though that we had found the absolute best place in the world to raise our kids, but my feeling about that started to change as well. Most of the people I thought I had connected with have little in common with me other than the fact that we have children the same age or close in age. Save my Jersey girl, who keeps me sane and grounded with good old fashioned east coast sarcasm. Then last fall, just before Lily was born, quite by accident and on a random walk on a street in my neighborhood where I never walk - I met Monica. She and her daughter, Rylan, had just arrived that day from St Louis and were waiting for her husband with the U-Haul. They were in the driveway drawing pictures with sidewalk chalk and Rylan and Grace took to each other like no two children I have ever seen.
Monica and I started talking on the phone and after Lily was born started spending more time with each other. It was nice for Grace to have a playmate who did not have her life already all scheduled out. As we were in the neighborhood longer and longer, play dates became hard to come by with all the scheduled activities the kids were getting into. Monica and I hit it off right away and share very similar experiences with family and life and moving. It was clear from very early on we were kindred spirits and in the blink of an eye permanent fixtures in each other's families. My Arizona family was now complete, The Jersey Girl, The St Louis Girl and The Masshole. Maybe and unlikely trio, but it was working...
Before I say I am angry again, I must say this. I am sympathetic to how hard this year has been for my dear friend, my sister. Before I say I am angry again, I must first say, I am empathetic. I had to leave my California family behind almost 3 years ago and it is so hard to do. Before I say I am angry again, I must say that I understand, I am sorry, I will miss you and I will ALWAYS be your friend, your sister. But I am angry that Monica is moving back to St. Louis, I am angry that our girls will not grow up together and I miss you already!
The guest room is always ready for the Millers and I hope that the new house in St. Louis has room for the Hurleys, 'cause you know that we'll be there for Christmas!
XOXO
クレンズスプラッシュの効果は嘘?衝撃の真相はこちら!
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment