Monday, August 31, 2009

Bye-Bye Baby...

It's all happening too fast! --- Lily is now a 'toddler' --- At the ripe old age of 9 and a half months Lu has begun walking. She spent the entire day toddling about the living room and made every possible attempt this morning to escape me and test her legs around the grocery store. As you might remember I called it months ago. I said that Lula would be walking by 9 months and - like her father - she is! I've also been heard to say that I thought my life would be easier when poor Lula could finally keep up with her big sis... Man is she giving it all she's got. We shall see how right - or wrong - I am about it being easier.

So far, this is the most bittersweet milestone. Lula is our last baby... The baby store is closed, factory shut down, there will be no more Hurley babies. I don't want anymore - I am not rethinking that long time plan to have two and be done -but I wanted to savor the baby stage a bit longer. I think Lula must sense this and that is why we are still up 2 and 3 times a nite. She wants me to not only feel like I still have a 'baby' but to reaffirm that fact that Brian and I do not want any more kids. She's such a smart little cookie!

Today Grace and I cheered and laughed and 'kissed it better' all day while Lu made her way around toys and over toys and to and from furniture. As rough as G still is with her sister and and frustrated as I am with her utter inability to understand that she is bigger (not for long) than Lily, those moment when G is proud and kind and supportive of her lil sis... It melts you heart!

I did not even try to catch any of today on video - it was more important for me to simply be present and a part of Lu's accomplishments and short-falls. Today was a very good day!

1 comment:

monica said...

Wow! I can't believe she's walking and we missed it. Sniff, sniff. Now she can keep up with the big kids-good for her. Gosh I don't talk to you for 2 days and Lil is walking-soon to be running! Love you all.

Blog Visitors