Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 2

Grace's return to VBS today was... Well I was worried about how she'd do. I know that she had "fun" yesterday, but she'd also told me that she did not want to go back. Our separation was an emotional one and I anticipated the same for today.


When we pulled into the parking lot this morning Taylor was standing right there waiting for her brother's to be unloaded from the car. That was a relief. Grace and Taylor immediately gave each other a bg hug and exchanged excited hello's. We all walked in together and I braced for a quick exit. To my surprise Grace was whisked away with a big "Good morning Grace!! Come sit over here!" by her Jr. Counselor, Jayme before we could even say good-bye. I was a little sad, but thought "maybe this is the best?" so I hid in the back cowering behind Rachael watching to see if Grace would join in the sing-along that was happening. She wasn't - she was looked stressed and was scanning the room for me. I could see she was about to cry and that was so very difficult. But I was determined not to swoop in - This is healthy - this is growth - this is important! Much to my delight Jayme and Susan another counselor plopped themselves right on the floor next to Grace and began to distract/entertain her. Okay and off we go - She will be fine.

Easier said than done - The pastor stopped us on the way out to get a 'fist bump' from Lily and ooh and ahhh over her cheeks and their "pinch-ability". This pleased Lily and she laughed and waved and said "Hi! Hi! Hi!" that is until she realized that we were making our way to the door and away from "Gace". The wailing commenced as soon as I hit the hallway and did not stop for 35 minutes. "Gace?!" - "Where Gace go?" - "Gace!!!" - Once the crying stopped the concerned and upset questions about Grace didn't stop until we picked her up. - This might actually be harder on Lily than anyone else! The one person I never considered might have a problem with this was Lily!!

When I arrived to pick Grace up a very sweet counselor stopped me and gushed.... "I have to tell you -My daughter is just head over heels in love with your daughter! - She asked me to take a picture of the two of them to send to her father at work today. She talked about Grace all night last night and Grace is just the cutest little thing I've ever seen - Those big eyes of hers are amazing! She is just as sweet as can be" And I'm thinking - Wow! She knows so much about Grace and I don't even know who her daughter is. So I ask. "Really? That is so nice to hear!! Who is your daughter??" Thinking her daughter must be one of the little preschoolers in Grace's group. The response was a delightful surprise. "I'm Jayme's mom. Jayme would just love to babysit for your daughter if you ever need someone!" {We do!! How exciting!!} I have to say I am now beaming with pride - it was so nice that this woman would come tell me this - It felt even better knowing her daughter was a fan of my daughter; so I know Grace is in a good, safe, loving place. I felt ten feet tall!

When I finally got to Grace's group to check her out she and Jayme gave each other a big hug goodbye and said they'd see each other tomorrow when I was once again stopped by one of Grace's counselors wanting to tell me what a "joy" she is to have in their group. And what a sweet little girl she is and how I should be very proud of her. Wow! This is great! She's happy - They like her! But I still would like to speak with her preschool teacher {Ms. Denise} to make sure that Grace is okay and that the tears and her fears subside once everything gets going. I was able to briefly speak with Ms. Denise before Grace announced that she “had to go potty” but the few things were said... Brian and I made the right decision to send Grace to this preschool! She is in a good place, with good people and I am so very excited for all of the amazing things to come!

I sent Ms. Denise an email yesterday to be sure that all had gone well. Explaining to her that this was Grace's first experience away from me and I wanted it to be a positive one. This was the response...



Shelbi,

Thank you for your e-mail.
Grace is the sweetest little girl. You should see her during music. She tries so hard, and has all the right moves. :-)

Grace seems to be having fun and is making friends. She gets along with everyone and is very polite. Grace listens, and follows directions, and is just delightful to have in class.

 I am really looking forward to having her in preschool this fall. She truly is a little dolly.



Grace asked for her picture to be taken this morning just like we did yesterday
{My little 'Ham' !}

Then said "Take my picture next to the car!"
{Okay... Big 'Ham' !}

"Mom - I'm a movie star!"
{I had to stop the car for this one -
Alright... So maybe the reason she's such a 'Ham' is that I stop the car for stuff like this.}

SO HAPPY to see best bud, Taylor!

4 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

what a wonderful, sweet note from Miss Denise. Makes me very happy!

Anonymous said...

Caleb is verging on 1 year since he's been at 'official' daycare (instead of with Grammie) and he still tells us that he doesn't want to go in the morning. Not that he hates it there, just he has other items on his agenda. I'm sure Grace just has a big to-do list she needs to get through. So much to do, so little time.

Shelbi said...

I literally did a spit take as I was reading your comment Bill. "I'm sure Grace just has a big to-do list..." I always look forward to your comments! You put the best spin on my life!

:)

Grace said...

Yay, Grace! So cute that Lily misses her sister...who else is she supposed to wrestle with and sit on? Adorable photo, but I can't believe you stopped the car :)

Blog Visitors