Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 5

Today was Grace’s last day of VBS at CGLS. She had a fun, positive new experience and formed quite a bond with her Preschool teacher this week. Now the first day of school should be a happy reunion, instead of a nerve-racking new adventure!


Brian was home this morning and able to take Grace to school. He was so excited to see where she had been all week and to reintroduce himself to Grace’s teacher and thank her for a wonderful week. Without thinking this plan through we all piled into the car and headed into the chapel to drop her off for her last day. Talk about setting yourself up for failure. Brian has not been in town more than seven days all month. Grace has missed him like crazy {as we all have!} and he only just got back into town last night. Ask Grace to say goodbye to him at school? “Ah, Hello? McFly? Is anyone home?” Of course it’s going to be a dramatic exit. Grace wouldn’t let go of Brian’s neck – Crying – I don’t want to stay! I want to go with you! I know that Brian was conflicted – On the one hand I am sure that it felt really good to have Grace want to be with him – On the other his baby was upset. Ms. Denise offered to hold Grace for us so we could say goodbye. When Grace finally went to her – which only took about 30 seconds of convincing on Ms. Denise’s part – Grace nestled her head right into Ms. Denise’s shoulder and hugged her tight around the neck. I cannot tell you how much it meant to Brian and me to have a teacher that not only made Grace feel so comfortable while she was upset – But who clearly wanted to take her and comfort her. Said it before – I am sure I will say it a million times more – We simply made the absolute right decision with this school choice!

We did hide in the back of the chapel and watch – Brian really wanted peace of mind that Grace was okay and not too upset – Something I knew she was or soon would be. We watched her dance along with the morning song and snuck out. Yes – I know we should have had Brian participate in the pick-up and not the drop-off – BUT hindsight is 20/20 and Brian’s meeting schedule was only going to allow for dropping her off – not picking her up. C’est La Vie!

When I arrived to pick her up Ms. Susan the assistant preschool teacher pulled me aside and said “I have to talk to you about Grace.” My heart sank – all I could think was this was going to be a negative report. She began “While we were playing Duck-Duck-Goose…” My head spinning –“she hit a kid? Tackled a kid? Got physical with a kid? What?...What?... What?!...” She continued – “… we were all in hysterics. Grace has had us in stitches all week, she is so funny! It was Grace’s turn to be “it” and she went running around the circle tapping everyone… ‘Duck-Duck-Duck-Duck’ around the circle twice and then stopped in front of me, bend down, looked me square in the face and asked with a most serious and puzzled expression… “What am I ‘posed to do now?” we. were. rolling!” I was then told by Ms. Denise and Ms. Susan that Grace is a wealth of hysterical, serious questions. Such as their favorites - When the group is told to “Line up.”; Grace says “Okay. Good. Where?”- or when wrapping up an activity Grace will ask “What’s next?”

I am so happy to hear that her propensity for ‘chatter’ is, at least for the moment, amusing and not getting her into trouble.

What a great, growing experience for all of us this week!









2 comments:

Grace said...

Sounds like a great week for all of you! And now you and Grace can look forward to August without too much anxiety. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. She's not a little baby anymore is she?

Blog Visitors