Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Drama {Queen} Free!

While my day yesterday was anything but drama free... The one aspect of my day that I was dreading - So sure would be a living nightmare - causing a pit in my stomach and a tremble in my knees was... AMAZING! I was dumbfounded and oozing with pride and joy! Just goes to show you... You never know!


Yesterday was Grace Elizabeth's first dentist appointment. I'd been telling her how the Dentists are the "fun" doctors. They have super cool chairs and really fun toothbrushes and I was reaching for anything thing I could think of to make the dentist's office sound like Disneyland. I have to admit, Kidz-R-Kool Pediatric Dentistry is not too far off from being Disneyland!

In a last resort, 'just in case' kind of move I tucked 'Button' {Grace's teddy} into my bag. When the Dental Hygienist {Claudia} called Grace back she was a little apprehensive, but Claudia was so sweet that Grace was quickly comfortable with her. Claudia got Grace's weight and quick health history and took Grace into the x-ray alcove to get film of her teeth. So far everything had been fine, but I'd been right next to Grace and now I wasn't going to be able to hold her hand. I think I got more nervous than Grace did. I just knew if the meltdown started she never would recover. The entire rest of the visit would be a disaster. So while Claudia explained that the Lead Apron was a "special blanket" and showed Grace the x-ray equipment, I snuck Button into her hands and Claudia fawned over Grace's buddy and "tucked him in" under the special blanket.
 Grace could not have beenmore perfect if she tried suring the x-rays. She even laughed a few times as Claudia was setting her up for the different angles and did not look at me once!!

She told me that the chair "was not a rocketship mommy!" But thought it was pretty cool nonetheless! She kept saying things like...
"This is fun!"
and
"Mommy they are going to brush my teeth! That's so silly"


I loved that they give the kids sunglasses to wear so that the exam light does not bother their eyes! Grace LOVED her pink polka dot, flower shaped sunglasses! She was starting to get excited here. Really? Excited for a dental exam and cleaning?  This place must pump happy gas through the air vents. Grace is overly dramatic about everything!  She says that "big girl toothpaste burns her mouth." Yup, the bubblegum flavored toothpaste that my mother-in-law had at her house "Burned" Can anyone else say "Drama Queen"??

Before Claudia did anything she showed Grace the tool, let her touch it, hear it, and explained what she was going to do.  She even used the electric toothbrush on Button first so that Grace wouldn't be nervous. Grace got a huge kick out of Button getting his teeth cleaned since as Grace was quick to point out to Claudia mid giggle...
 "Button doesn't have any teeth!"

Even though Grace was excited and quite a willing if not happy participant in the entire adventure she still hugged Button to her chest for the first minute or so. By the end of the exam and cleaning however, Button had fallen down by her side.

Grace is going to follow in her mother's dental footsteps I am afraid. A mouth too small for all the teeth it needs to hold. Crowding, overbite and a missing adult tooth might be an issue, But for now her dental hygiene is "Excellent" and time will tell what orthodontic work is needed but she was so-damn-good!
 I could not have been more proud!
As someone who has had more than her fair share of teeth extracted
{not including my wisdom teeth - Although those came out too!}
And endured braces at two different times in my life - I am not the biggest fan of the dentist. I am so happy that Grace's first visit was such a positive one. Dr. Brenke's office played no small part in that either! From reception to hygienist, to Dr. Brenke himself - They were FANTASTIC!!

Grace and her x-ray
{Which she did not believe was a "picture" of her teeth!}

The amazing Dr. Brenke, D.D.S!

2 comments:

Grace said...

Wow! Good for Grace - she did awesome! She does look really happy for going to the dentist! Hope it lasts :)

Rachael Schepemaker said...

Isn't that place the best! What did Lily think? Hopefully when it's her turn she won't be afraid either.

Blog Visitors