Monday, May 4, 2009

Graduation

Saturday was Ronnie's graduation from UWF (Univ of Western Fla.) Dad, Penny, Rory the girls and I all piled into Pathfinder on Friday early afternoon and made the 3 hour drive to Pensacola to be there for Ronnie. Nana Gywnn and Papa Brian made the trip as well and Kaitlyn would join us on Saturday morning before the 9am ceremony. Dinner Friday night was at Penny's favorite restarunt in Pensacola, McGuire's. It's a gimmicky Irish Pub and the food it just okay, but we had a great time. Grace was terrified and curious all at the same time by the mounted animal heads through out the restarunt. But they brew their own beer and serve traditional Irish fare like Shepherds Pie, Steak & Kidney Pie, Fish & Chips... it was fun. After dinner we took a dip in the hotel pool and delighted in Grace's want to show off but hesitation to go under water.

Then Saturday we all watched Ronnie walk across the stage and end part one of his story at UWF. Ronnie will return in the fall to being his master's program. He has been a Resident Advisor for the last several years and will return as a Hall Director in the fall. Working with the students in this capacity has been extremely rewarding and Ronnie wants to make a career out of it.

Lunch at Landry's (Both girls slept, Grace on the floor) and then off to the beach! (Yahoo!!) The sand was pure white sugar... it was the cleanest, softest, most beautiful sand I have seen (in the US... Mexico and the Caribbean have really really beautiful sandy beaches) but even with the beautiful sand and perfect temperature water, Grace is still not a fan of the beach. Though my father informs me that as much as I love the beach today... my first beach experiences were just like Grace's. Apparently I wanted no part of it! This I find very difficult to believe, but that's what Dad says... Grace, Memaw and Grampa built a sand castle, until Ronnie and his college buddies caught Grace's eye. Then all she wanted to do was sit on the beach mat and watch them play.

After the beach Memaw and I took Grace back to the hotel pool and swam. Grace once again found her comfort zone in the water and began to swim... no fear, under water, jumping in with no warning and without any coaxing, swimming. I am thrilled that we have finally gotten back to where we were just before Lily was born! Then, thinking that Ronnie and Kaitlyn would return to the hotel and want to crash in Dad & Penny's room and not wanting them to wake Grace when they did I decided to keep Grace in with Rory, Lily & me... But I did not bring her bed in with us... I thought, foolishly that she could sleep in the bed with me... She, that tiny little peanut, hogged the entire queen sized bed all night! How is is possible that someone that small can take up so much room? It was a miserable night sleep on my part, but she woke up happy and refreshed and excited to be in "Mommy's bed". The a quick breakfast with the family and all 6 of us piled back into the Pathfinder to make the 3 hour trip back to Tallahassee. It was a good weekend. Here are some photos...

No comments:

Blog Visitors