Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tree frogs and Paratroopers

Today was yet another occasion when, if someone had been video taping... So I will have to record this memory in words, though I am sure I will not forget it for the rest of my life.

This afternoon when we got back from Lunch with Grampa we came home to find Uncle Rory filling up a new pool for Grace. Both excited to see Uncle Rory and giddy about the imminent rain and new pool Grace raced to the back porch. She and Uncle Rory played in the water a bit and I sat on the porch watching. Since we'd been running errands and out to lunch Grace was fully clothed. However the minute she saw a pool she was naked in a flash! After a bit of fun in the water Grace joined me on the porch where she discovered a tree frog. The frog actually startled her when she walked by and it hopped. So I took this opportunity to let Grace see some nature up close and learn that frogs were not scary. At least they were not scary until today...

I picked the little frog up, held it in the palm of my hand and attempted to bring Grace close to inspect the cute little thing. But as Grace moved the frog leapt from my hand and clung to the porch screen. This made Grace laugh. I picked the little thing up again and tried to get Grace close to see. We repeated this leap to the screen, Grace laughing and getting excited thing a few more times. Grace was having such fun watching the little frog fly though the air (and man can they jump!) that she forgot she was afraid of it. So one more time, I plucked the frog from the screen and placed it in the palm of my hand. Grace had built up enough courage that she decided she wanted the frog to sit on her hand. As I brought the frog close to her open palm it leapt again, but this time it did not leap onto the screen, nope... it leapt right onto or into her belly and stuck there. It's little suction cup fingers clinging, to a screaming Grace, for dear life! Now Grace who was thinking the frog was cool is freaked out, telling me how it 'tacked' her. Okay, now I can admit, she got this from me... As I was belly laughing, and telling Uncle Rory that the "Froggie attacked Grace"

It makes me a bit sad and a bit homesick when I realize that Grace does not have these wildlife opportunities in Arizona. It's not as if she can or should be chasing and trying to catch scorpion, or rattle snakes. Unlike my childhood, when Muffy and I skipped summer school on a regular basis and spent the day at the frog pond in Child's Park catching Bull Frogs. Or when Rory tagged along to hang out at the Mill River all summer catching pollywogs and salamanders. There are no fire flies or garden snakes, or even toads that are safe to pick. Arizona is too dry for all the fun stuff we'd catch as kids. Guess I'll just have to try to find another frog today or a gecko or some other little creature while we are still here in Florida.

On to paratroopers...

Grace has an army of Paratroopers. Not unlike the ones we had as kids, except they are hollow plastic instead of metal or solid plastic and the parachute is a small square of plastic instead of cloth, but same premise. Grace decided that the Paratroopers are great fun, but not for their intended purpose. She has removed all of the parachutes. Apparently they are not necessary. She has instead formed her own little all Gay army. Not that she has any idea what Gay is, but her soldiers do spend a lot of time kissing... I suppose if I am being fair in today's military it's a very likely that half her Paratroopers are women and it's not her own little Gay army, but a plain old Hetero one... But personally I prefer to think that Grace has formed the first all Gay company in the army and GOOD FOR HER!
(I of course know that I am projecting and that none of these ideas are even concepts in her little head, but ... my journal, my story)

No comments:

Blog Visitors