Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Never quite as planned...

It's a good thing that I am a go with the flow, no real plan or destination, enjoy the ride kind of girl. To be honest, though I hear so much to the contrary, for me, it makes this motherhood thing easy... or should I say easier. My days since having Grace do not always go as planned, and that is usually quite alriight with me. I have chosen (since it is my style to begin with) not to schedule Grace, instead I schedule my life around her needs, wants, moods, and we have been a happy couple for 16 months now. I do manage to get any important appointments in and get there on time. But anything that is not critical... well, we may or may not make it and for that, to my girlfriends... Sorry.

Today was no different, we had hoped to meet up with some neighborhood friends, who are probably still wondering where we are...oops. But an unexpected errand and crazy nap schedule threw a wrench into that plan. Grace and I did however manage to get to the dollar store for a coloring book, more crayons, play-doh, and art paper. We had a blast experimenting with play-doh and experiencing the squish between our fingers. Grace who has enjoyed coloring in my day planner (yes, despite what I said above, I have a planner and I use it, frequently in fact!) or on/in any book or paper she gets her hands on was confused by the concept of a "coloring book". After tearing the crayon box, the most interesting part of art time for Grace was putting the crayons into the cup I gave her for them. Then dumping them out again and starting over. Her motor skills are quite good though and before getting overly excited and tearing the box... she was able to replace the crayons in the box with great skill. She is amazing.

Again today we had success with almost and entire jar of sweet potato. Tomorrow may be a different story so I am going to hold onto this victory and try to remember that each success is huge and we are going to have "bad" days. At bath time tonight we were hit with yet another major electrical storm. We've seemed to have one every night for a few weeks. So we had to skip our bath routine; which really signals to Grace that it is time to wind down. She did not fair as badly as I thought and quieted down to sleep nicely.

Tomorrow is a Gymboree day. Grace is always a happy girl when she gets to go to Gymboree. Lately every time we get in the car she asks... "Gymboree?" I will be happy to be able to say "yes" tomorrow.

No husband to visit with, so I am off to catch up on some much needed and wanted sleep.

No comments:

Blog Visitors