Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Testing the waters of bravery

This morning Grace and I had to make and early and unexpected run to Safeway for cat food. Both of us in our pajamas figuring... "How many people will be at the grocery store at 6:30am on a Wednesday morning?" The answer... more than you think! Grace, from the safety of her stroller decided that she needed to say "Hi!" to everyone we saw. If they did not immediately respond she sent a barrage of "Hi, Hi, Hi, Hi's" their way until they acknowledged her. That's when my little girl decided that she was only brave enough to say "Hi"... Once the "stranger" acknowledged her, she put her head down and hid from them unable to participate in a two sided conversation... At least it is a step in the right direction. The only other time I have seen this "bravery" from her was in the airport when she walked around to all the strangers in the terminal, bending her body to peek at them from under their newspapers, magazines and books to say hello...

Wednesday Afternoon:

Well I have had my least productive day yet... Grace told me she was sleepy this morning; then when I put her in her crib cried "No Nap..." for about 40 minutes before falling asleep for only 30. In that 30 minutes (Well 70... but the first 40 don't count) I managed to make a bunch of phone calls trying to get a quote for auto repairs... My car turned 8 years old last week and is quite the fragile old lady these days. (Of course the best quote came from a mechanic in Scottsdale... So i make the trek to Scottsdale tomorrow; But that's off topic now, isn't it?) Where was I? Oh yeah, Grace woke up and we spent the next 40 minutes engaged in battle at the kitchen table over a few spoonfuls of yogurt. Then off to Babies r Us to return an item, get new sippy cups and get out of the house. My early afternoon project... Try to get Grace's closet back into some semblance of order since the closet remodeling project this past weekend... I feel like I am actually making headway, and my husband would be so proud...Only to find that as I am up on the step stool engrossed in organizing the top shelf and bar of Grace's closet... she is at the bottom bar pulling every article of clothing off their hangers... Forget it! It's nap time again anyway and as I foolishly ask "nap time?" My little darling walks over to her crib, looks up to me and says "Nap?" FANTASTIC!! She is tired and I can get a few things done... yeah right!! She has now been banging on her crib yelling for me the last 20 minutes... My little Pachino... "Attica! Attica! Attica!"

Oh well, she's tired... my house is a mess... the laundry is piling up... and I need a nap...Thank God my husband is not here to see this place! It will be clean by Friday night... I promise!

2 comments:

Grace said...

Cute blog! Grace knows a lot of words...but you overlooked a few: Red Sox, Patriots, Yankees suck! I have no doubt she knows those already.

Grace

Anonymous said...

Many sympathies on the nap battles. I had one of those last Saturday while Alyson was taking a quilting class. At least mine isn't actually telling me that he doesn't want a nap. I've got a few months before we get to 'words' I think.

Blog Visitors