Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Little imp! ;)

This was one of those times that you are sure you must be on candid camera... In the moment, I thought that there is no way this is really happening. I am laughing heartily about it now, because honestly, I wish that I had it all on video... it was and is funny!

This morning while chained once again to the fetal monitor at my doctors office. Grace decided that though she had a bag full of toys, a bottle, her sippy cup and my undivided yet trapped attention; that she needed to have a tantrum about being strapped to her stroller. I thought... "What's the harm in letting her play with her toys on the floor?" Really?? Have I learned nothing about my daughter in these past few months?

Now, let me stop and preface this story by saying... I do not think that I have unrealistic expectations of what a 17 month old child is and is not capable of. I have learned a lot from Dr. Sear's 'Discipline Book' and have been implementing his tactics with success. Not 100% success, but that would be an unrealistic expectation. Unfortunately most of how to get a child of Grace's age to do what is asked and expected means getting down to her level, touching her, getting her full attention and then telling her what she needs to do or not do... Not possible when you are strapped to a fetal monitor. ;) And while Brian and I have essentially been playing 'fetch' with Grace to work on her listening skills and direction following skills, she knows when she will be able to get away with murder and that is just what she did today...

So once free from her stroller Grace immediately walked behind the chair I was in and out of my sight. This she thought was funny, because every time I called her name and asked her to come do or get something she giggled... Finally she came around to the side of the chair and began to dismantle the diaper bags filled with samples that are stored in this room. She kept looking up to see if I was watching and defiantly continued what she was doing. Well maybe defiantly is not the right word, but she was aware that this was a "No Touch" situation. When I was finally able to get a hand on her and get her attention, the nurse came in and Grace promptly retreated to her stroller as if she were a perfect angel. The moment the nurse left (after telling Grace her what a good and pretty girl she was) Grace walked straight over to the fetal monitor and pulled the cords out. So now, I am no longer attached to the monitor, but I am almost 9 months pregnant and reclined in this over sized over stuffed easy chair... and like a turtle on my back, I need help getting up. So while I am rocking... trying to gain enough velocity to propel myself from the chair, Grace tears the monitor strip from the printer and heads for the door... Now I hear her greeting the nurses, patients and doctors as she trots down the hall.. "Hi! Hi! Hi!" I am mortified! (And still barely out of the chair) With that my doctor walks in to check on me, sees me unhooked with no paperwork and looks puzzled... that is until a nurse comes in with Grace in her arms and the monitor strip being waved about like a flag in Grace's hand... "Oy Vey!"

I apologized like there was no tomorrow to an EXTREMELY understanding and frankly amused doctor and nursing staff. Grace spent the remainder of the appointment tucked into the chair with me with a book and her bottle and my firm grip around her. I left the office completely embarrassed when I realized, Grace is only 17 months old... the poor kid had to trek an hour in traffic to Scottsdale with me and then I expected her to sit quietly in her stroller for more than an hour and then drive patiently back home... And I began to laugh... It really is funny looking back on it.

1 comment:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

It does sound like a good story you'll want to share with her in like 15 years. I'm sorry that I have been unable to help you out by watching Grace. Send me an email with your appointments and I can see where I can fill in so you can be attached to a machine in peace :-)

Blog Visitors